Pages

Sunday 17 April 2011

Module 1 Chapter 1 Transfer Paint Experiments Post 1








Violet and scarlet transfer paints on white photocopier paper (above). These were applied with a foam brush and I allowed the colours to seep into each other.





I used a hot iron to transfer the paints and achieve quite a vibrant effect on the fabric(above). The parts where the ink wasn't quite so concentrated have turned out to be a really attractive shade of pale lilac.



Vivid blue, red and leaf green transfer paints sponged onto paper with different amounts of pressure. This created lighter patches of colour and pools of deeper colours (below left).


When ironed onto the white satin, this produced an attractive, bright pattern, which remined me of a meadow full of flowers (below left).



                                                                                                                                                                                 

I also tried transferring this onto white felt, which was an interesting experiment! This only took about 30 seconds to transfer before the felt strated to singe, so only a very light layer was possible to iron on, resulting in very light, pastel shades of the original colours (below left).


The next experiment that I tried was to paint stripes of green and golden yellow transfer paints on to paper with a broad brush for the background and then paint thinner, dark stripes of green over the top, which I let run up and down the paper. When I transferred this to the white satin, the colours didn't transfer so well, maybe because I needed to apply a thicker coat of paint to the paper, or mix a more concentrated mixture of paint. This was one of my earlier experiments and was not so effective as my later attempts.




I used green and yellow on the next examples too, but this time applied slightly more paint and let it dribble in different directions over the paper. I also dotted a few spots around with a medium sized paintbrush. This time, I transferred the colours onto a polyester 'chiffon' fabric, using the iron on the 'silk' setting for around a minute. This was very effective, although this can't be seen very well from the photograph, and the fabric looks particularly attractive held up against the light.






No comments:

Post a Comment