Pages

Sunday 17 April 2011

Module 1 Chapter 1 Transfer Paint Experiments Post 3

Feeling encouraged by my last couple of attempts, I thought that I would try out the 'vivid' blue paint that was left in my sample kit. I applied this with broad brush strokes to the photocopier paper in thick blobs, along with some violet paint.


Vivid blue and purple transfer paint on white paper,
applied with a broad brush


I used quite heavy pressure to apply this to white satin on the 'wool' setting, and this took around 6 minutes altogether. I was careful to check that the fabric didn't singe. The colours came out beatifully this time and I was really pleased with this sample.

Bright, beautiful colours on fabric!

I wondered what this would look like if I transferred it again to stitched fabric, so I used a zig-zag stitch to sew lines onto some white satin in white 100% rayon thread. I transferred the paint in the same way as before and was surprised that it only transferred onto the satin, not the thread. I double checked that I had used synthetic thread (not cotton), but I had. Why had this happened? Surely it should transfer on to both?


I tried again, but with the same result. The effect was interesting though, and the colours still transferred really well, even though this was the second time I had used the paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment